Monday, July 07, 2008

Who's to blame??????

We went to eat at one of our favorite little restaurants here on the island. It happens to be a Mexican place. I ordered a ceviche salad. For anyone who doesn't know, ceviche is technically raw fish, but it is "chemically cooked" by marinating in lime juice. The acid in the lime juice does something magical and the fish turns out very limey, not too fishy, and very yummy.

Anyway....I offer Alex a piece of fish. That's what I called it: fish.

Alex says no or ignores me, I don't remember which one.

So, I say instead, "Alex, would you like some ceviche?"

And he replies, "That's not ceviche. That's Nemo."

Hello??? What member of PETA recruited my 2 year old??????

And although Dan and I filled his little plate with a wonderful assortment of Mexican delights--beans, rice, tortilla chips, tomato chunks, and ceviche, he ate everything BUT the items that could possibly have been former relatives of Nemo. I guess it doesn't help that we went to the Aquarium again earlier today!

Holy cow (no pun intended). I know I did this and went all vegetarian on my parents, too. But I was more logical and reasonable. I waited until I was 12, until I could make my own cheese sandwiches, before I started swearing off eating animals!

So...where did this moral compulsion come from??? Did we show him "Finding Nemo" too early? Did he read some liberal propaganda pamphlets at an Obama rally? Is it just a matter of heredity?

Or is this where the curse begins? When I told my family that I was no longer going to eat meat, did my mother mutter under her breath "Just wait until you have children....just wait. I curse you with kids just like you!"

5 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Blogger jooliyah said...

hi! (waving furiously) you are officially the first mommy blogger i've met who lives here in hawaii! seriously, i've been having a heck of a time explaining this whole thing to my friends.

you boy is CUTE. i spent a bit of time catching up. he sounds a lot like my noah. they could be trouble together.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Marc O. said...

I agree with Alex. Not nice to eat the contents of your aquarium. :-)

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger babyboyg said...

I know, Marc! Have you seen finding Nemo? There's a part with sharks who are in a sort of AA for sharks, only they are swearing off eating fish. Anyway, their slogan is "fish are friends, not food." I guess Alex was listening too closely!

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger jooliyah said...

hi! seeing as how we have a little boy the same age and live only blocks apart.....do you wanna meet up sometime? august will be crazy for us because we have some big family events coming up, but at the same time it's so nice to make new real life friends....anways, if interested, please email me. email is on my profile. if not, no offense will be taken. i know how busy life with little ones can be.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Homeslice said...

okay, that is hilarious! pretty soon he's going to be spray painting your beef or chicken in your fridge and staging "sit ins" on your kitchen floor :-)

and hey, my bro and sis-in-law live in kailua. they own the pricebusters chain. small world :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home