Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Lessons in Swimming and Being Naughty

Tuesday was even more fun that Monday. (I hope that trend continues!) We dropped Dan off at work, then went to Walmart for a quick shopping trip. I needed a rash guard (one of those shirts that you either wear because you are actually surfing and need the protection or wear b/c they are also SPF50 and will keep you from getting burned to a crisp). My needs are for neither one, rather I am covering up that extra pregnancy belly that will go away soon....it's only been 2 3/4 years...give me a break!

Anyway, we got that and then accidentally walked near the toy section, so I had to bribe Alex with a new puzzle. At least he is OK with at $4.00 puzzle, wait until he's begging for a toy and will not be satisfied with anything less than a video game. Yes, I do realize how lucky I am right now!

So, we then went to the main event for the day...swim lessons! I had to go early because I had actually signed up over the phone the day before, so I hadn't done any paperwork. Well, Alex was his usual bold self and tried to get into the pool without me a couple of times. One of the nice instructors offered to watch him while I finished the paperwork, and wouldn't you know it, Alex stood almost completely still for the next 5 minutes. It's only ME he won't listen to.

The lessons were great. Alex was not nervous....AT ALL and seemed to be having a blast. I am encouraged because this will encourage me to get him to the pool more often (there is a pool right down the street that I have not taken advantage of, although we've lived in this house for a year) and because we have the OCEAN less than a mile away, for goodness sake! We really haven't been using that resource like we should recently. I guess there is my answer to "what will we do today?" whenever I can't figure it out.

After class, it was a nice long nap and then we hit the playground for some good playing. Everything was great, everyone was under 5, running happily and playing nicely, until these three boys--about 10 or so--came through.

They did everything that you would tell your child "don't do that, you are going to get HURT!!!" but they were bigger, so they didn't get hurt and that just annoyed me, because they were setting the example of what not to do, and doing it without the threatened consequence. Things like going halfway down the curly slide and jumping off, or leaping from the platform rather than going down the ladder. All things they could do cuz they are BIG but that my toddler cannot do but now THINKS he can do! Anyway, I loudly said things like "we don't jump off the slide because we can get hurt" to Alex, hoping they would magically get the hint, but they didn't and the danger and mayhem continued. At least they were careful and didn't actually hurt any of the kids directly, but they planted seeds of death-defying behavior, and for that I am pretty ticked off.

And, because I just want to post a picture, here is one that shows that Alex is ready for the summer. It was actually taken about a month ago, but that is OK, we'll just say he was practicing. Alex, you are supposed to get the ice cream IN your belly, not ALL OVER it! Yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home