Thursday, September 27, 2007

Little Artist

Dan and I have long worried about Alex's future. What parent doesn't, right? Well, what we are worried about is that Alex seems to be left-handed. He always eats, brushes his teeth, draws, etc. with his left hand, even if we put the utensil in his right hand, he switches. This started very young, and every book I read said that it was too early. Well, he's two, and it's not going away. So, the problem came from this conversation we had where we talked about how lefties are supposed to be right-brained, more creative, artistic, etc. and we followed this to the conclusion that Alex was going to end up an unemployed "artist" living in our basement. No big deal, there are no basements in Texas or Hawaii. Then we found and bought a house with something pretty close to a basement. And now we are concerned that we have set ourselves up for it.

So, this brings me to the point...yesterday, Alex was playing with is playdough at home. He came to get me and indicated that he wanted me to come see something. He kept saying "Mommy, honu!" (Hawaiian for sea turtle--you see them everywhere, as they are a kind of symbol of Hawaii) So, I get over there, and the kid has made a little sea turtle out of playdough. So, it didn't really have legs or a tail, but it was a slightly oblong, oval shape with an attached roundish shape, which certainly could have been a turtle shell with his head poking out. Alex was very proud, clapped his hands, and cheered for himself. Then he got Dan and showed him, too.

I am afraid this was his first gallery exhibit. At least he has two fans already....and a basement for later.

4 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too cute! Alex certainly does love honus. He pointed out a zillion of them the day that Bette and I took him around Waikiki.
I saw on the Discovery channel (so you KNOW it's true) that babies actually choose their dominant hand in the womb, far earlier than previously thought. I seem to recall that one of his latter ultrasounds showed him sucking his left thumb. Very interesting, but you know, a lot of really SMART people are left handed, so there is hope. Miss you guys! XOXO ~S

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger Snowman said...

I'm left handed too, and just because we are, doesn't mean you have to be or will be creative. Perhaps Alex will grow up to be a geek like me and his dad working in IT ;)

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger babyboyg said...

Thank you, Brian. We have hope! Maybe he'll grow up to be a geek instead!

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what you're so worried about. I'm a 32 year old right hander and I live in my parents basement.
-in TX.
danged if you do, danged if you don't.
CM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home