Sunday, February 11, 2007

Sanity Has Returned!

Yes, it's only 8:30 and guess who's asleep? Ahhhhh....and it only took about 20 minutes. I guess it was only a matter of getting used to the newness and the routine.

So, since I'm in such a good mood, it's time to brag :-)

Alex loves to help. I think all kids at this age like to be useful and competent and to be involved in the goings-on of life and chores and activities. Plus, it's a fun way for me to test and add to his vocabulary. (Ex: he can "bring me the book" but yesterday I tried "bring me the bowl" and he looked in earnest for a good 10 seconds before he brought me a shoe. It was long enough that I knew he didn't actually think it was a "bowl" but he just wanted to help so much. Good try, kiddo.)

So, when you say "It's time for a new diaper, Alex runs to the hanging thing that holds the diapers and wipes. It's up pretty high right now, but I'll probably move it soon because he just likes to help and it's kind of sad to see him reaching for these things that are about 2 feet above his head.

Tonight, I asked him to "take the wipes back." He took them back then reached up. I picked him up to put them away. He did. I set him down, and he started to stomp and fuss. I began walking out of the room, and it got worse. I tried taking his hand, he sat down, still reaching up toward the wipes. I thought, "He just wants to pull out all the wipes (a good guess, as he does this every time I leave an unattended package around...hmmm...maybe I'll rethink lowering the hanging thing!)" But, I thought, what the heck and I picked him up. He took the wipes container in his two little hands and turned it a quarter turn. Then let go and looked at me. His eyes said "All done. We can go now." It's a rectangular-shaped baggie package thing. It was on its side. Now it is positioned "correctly."

If I could only get him to think that toys on the floor needed to be positioned correctly somewhere other than the floor, this could be really useful!

1 Comments:

At 7:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Alex are doing so great! Sleep deprivation is not all it's cracked up to be! God bless young mothers and fathers! You make parenting look easy!
Love,
Janice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home