Friday, May 18, 2007

Should have knocked on wood!

I was just telling Dan the other day how nice it was that Alex didn't say "no" yet. He shakes his head, and does other obvious signs that he doesn't like or want something, but he hadn't actually used the word yet. We don't say "no" that often, actually. Dan says uh-uh and I usually try distraction (instead of "No, get off the counter" I try, "Let's go play with the train!"...it kind of avoids the issue, but whatever....)

Then on Wednesday, I had to eat those words. I got Alex out of the car at the beach for a little afternoon swim, and I put his hat on. He pulled it off (which he does if I don't get his hands immediately occupied with something else, like "help me carry this"). No big deal. So I put his hat back on and tried the quick "hold the suscreen for Mommy." And that little boy looked right at me and said "NO" while pulling the hat off and throwing it on the ground in the parking lot. I laughed out loud. Then put the hat back on, said "YES!" and put sunscreen in one hand, grabbed the other one, and started walking quickly towards the sand.

I heard it again a couple of times, I as I tried to shower him off in the (too cold) little beach showers, but haven't heard it again. I know that I will get my fill of "no's" in my and Alex's relationship. This was just the first of many....

2 Comments:

At 1:23 AM, Blogger bette said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger bette said...

Yeah Alex!! Strong willed kids are wonderful....not easy.... but wonderful! What a stitch ... I know a Dan and Laura (conversations with your Mom) that are also wonderfully strong willed ... the best way to be! Love and Kisses ... Grandma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home