Sunday, June 22, 2008

Future Debate Team Member!

Alex has become very talkative lately. Some days I actually wonder why we are teaching him to talk.

Some examples of his favorite phrases lately:

"I did already." He usually says this when it's time to clean up. What he means is "I cleaned up last week" but he's sure that this was recently enough to get me to leave him alone.

"But I'm still playing." Self-explanatory.

"But Daddy said it's OK." He's usually right. This isn't the beginning of the deceptive playing one parent against another game...yet. Daddy does have a different...um....tolerance for certain things. Mommy is meaner. That's all there is to it.

He's also figured out how to change a sentence into the negative or turn it around completely, which I am torn about. Am I proud? Or am I just really annoyed?

Example:

Mom: "Alex, it's bed time."
Alex: "It's not bed time for Alex. It's bed time for you!"

Mom: "Alex, we have to go in a few minutes."
Alex: "We don't have to go. We have to stay here!"

This is all just part of the process. My kid isn't any more amazing linguistically than any other two year old (unless you ask his grandmas!). But, as a parent, it's just amazing to remember him jumping up and down in the kitchen, grunting and pointing, only about a year ago and having to figure out what in the world that meant.

Now, it's almost like talking to a real person. A real person who lacks logic or any real reasoning behind his little arguments, but still, a person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home