Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Daycare stole my baby....

...and I got back a big boy!

Alex has been growing up at daycare. I went to pick him up one afternoon to find him drinking a bottle, holding it all by himself. This was a surprise because (apparently he has been pretending that) he can't really hold a sippy cup, and needs help.

Balogna! There was my little munchkin, sitting up and drinking from a bottle. Of course, this took a few weeks of practice because up to this point in his life, he's had less than a bottle a week. But now, he's a little champ at it. He still tries to pretend that he can't hold his cup, he opens his mouth as I bring it toward him, like I'm going to stick it in there and hold it for him. But if I put the cup in his lap, he'll reach right down and pick it up, hold it up and suck down whatever is in there. Little faker!

In other news, work is going well. I finish up next Friday, and then Alex and I fly to Texas for a week with my folks. Auntie Sarah is driving up, and Uncle Chris, G-ma Linda and G-pa will be there as well as some pets. Alex will get to meet the elusive feline Dominique, who will probably be hiding under the couch the whole time, and Sugar, who will love Alex's dog-feeding skills.

I start at my school year job at the end of July, so I've been working on my room at the new school in the afternoons. This going back to work thing has been more work than I thought it would be! I planned to be doing half-days, but between a continuing ed class for the new school, working half day, and then getting ready for the new job, it's actually been a full time job! I have taken Alex with me to the new school whenever I just have to drop things off or pick things up. He rides in the little backpack so I can still work. Of course, he's a hit :-)

Alex is also working very hard on becoming even more mobile. He has let go of whatever he is "cruising" on several times, and, forgetting that he's not holding anything, he sometimes even takes a step before dropping to the ground to really get around. I don't know that these are his "first steps" as they don't seem all that intentional. But maybe that's just how it is.

Here are a couple of pictures from the zoo music show last week. Alex was enjoying himself, although it's hard to tell. He usually has such a serious look on his face.


(In a Cartman voice:) Yeah, I want veggie poofs.


Mommy, are you taking pictures of me again?


At least let me turn around.

Oh, and you want a smile, too? Well, I'm not your trick pony. I don't smile on command. How's this?

6 Comments:

At 2:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cutie! Laura, when you're not looking, he probably tap dances, juggles, and uses his sippie cup all at once. You really need to cash in on all that talent!!~Auntie Sarah

 
At 4:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He looks so grown up! WOW. Will you be making a trek to Austin any time soon? It'd be fun to see you guys again!
-Sally

 
At 4:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing how you sometimes turn around and you're like "Holy Crap. When did this little baby get to be a little boy?" Happens all the time.

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger babyboyg said...

So true, Brian! Dan and I are amazed all the time at what he can do today that he couldn't do even yesterday!

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sponges, they soak everything up! Watch out once those words start coming!

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger sara and alex said...

he is just too cute! i can't believe he's 10 months old already! he was what? 5, 6 months when we started play group??? i do miss seeing you guys! glad that you guys are doing well! and that work is going great too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home